Sunday, May 10, 2015

2015 Market Season

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all enjoying the wonderful spring weather that we've had here on the Oregon coast over the past few weeks. I know all the sunshine and warmth has made the plants in my garden happy. It seems like nearly everything is either budding or blooming right now.

This post is a little late, but the 2015 farmers market season kicked off last week. I'm happy to report that my first few markets were all successful. As usual, I brought my combination of handmade crafts and my books. We had a few rain showers on Wednesdays and of course there's the charming Oregon "breeze" (read: wind gusts), but my fellow vendors and I didn't let these complications stop us. The market manager at the Coos Bay Farmers Market said that she had the most vendors that she's ever had on opening day.

I'd like to send out a heartfelt thank you to all of the people that visited local farmers markets over the past week. Your support means a lot to both myself and my fellow crafters, bakers, and farmers.

For the 2015 market season, I've had to cut back on the number of markets I attend. I'll be cutting back to two regular farmers markets per week plus a few festivals and other special events throughout the summer.


The following is my current 2015 market schedule:




Coos Bay Farmers Market-- every Wednesday on Central Avenue from 9 am until 3 pm. The largest local farmers market.

My booth is located in front of the quilt shop, Threads that Bind, on the first block. I'll be there every week (weather permitting) from May until October.

Coos Bay has a smaller Sunday market that begins in August and runs through the end of October. This market is located in the parking lot of the Coos Bay visitor center. I'm going to try to attend this market as well this year, but I may not be there every week. It depends on how hectic my week has been (I have a 2nd job in addition to running my crafting business).






Coquille Valley Farmers Market-- every Saturday from 10 am until 4 pm. This market is located at the old mill site in Coquille. The old buildings have been torn down, so we set up in the large grassy field.

I'm planning on setting up at this market on most Saturdays this season (weather permitting). I will be missing a few weeks in order to attend other Saturday events.

Market runs from May until the middle of September each year.

Directions-- If you're heading east on highway 42, turn right at the first traffic light. The market sets up in the grassy field down the hill on the right. If you're heading west, it'll be the last traffic light and you'll be turning left.


Green Acres Grange-- The Green Acres Grange hosts a two day sale several times a year. The vendors are usually a mix of crafters, farmers, and people selling second hand items. There's always a variety of different items available for sale. The grange also has a small kitchen. They usually have coffee, muffins, and donuts available in the morning. In the afternoon, you can purchase an affordable hot lunch (burgers, fries, sandwiches).

Do to my busy schedule, I'm only planning on attending on the Saturdays this year (the markets are Fri-Sat). Doors open at 9 am and close at 4 pm.

Directions: From Coos Bay head south on highway 101. At the juncture, turn left onto highway 42. Just past the small store on "Confusion Hill" turn left (be on the look out for the Green Acres sign). After crossing the railroad tracks, turn right and follow the windy road for half a mile or so. The grange will be on your left side.

I will be set up at the Green Acres Grange on the following Saturdays:

August 1st
October 3rd
December 5th





Florence Festival of Books-- This annual event will be held at the Florence Events Center on Saturday, September 26th. I'll be there with signed copies of all of my published books. Each year, the event grows and they add more activities. I'll write an additional blog post with more details when the event gets closer.



And, that's it for now. I'll continue to add updates and I schedule more events throughout the season. Cross your fingers that 2015 is a great market season!

As always, thank you for supporting my little crafting business.

~~ Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment